A birthstone is a specific gemstone that is connected with a particular birth month. In the case of January, the first calendar month of the year, the January Birthstone is garnet I wanted to get something special for a lady in my life, and I decided to focus on her January birthstone of garnet. It was a fascinating education and I really enjoyed learning about its role as a symbol of unchanging devotion. I even feel better about my choice, now, knowing that it is going to mean a lot more than I originally thought it would when first considering it as a gift.
What is the origin of January birthstone: Garnet?
The meaning of the name is “dark red”. It comes from the 14th Century and it comes in many different shades. Seen as the symbol of life by the Egyptians, it’s long been connected to longevity and security. It was seen as a protector for warriors going into battle, too.
It was popular in the Victorian ages due to its ability to ward off sickness and promote healing. To this day, it often is still seen as being a token of enjoyment and prosperity, particularly in promoting safety from harm and sickness. For this reason, it starts off the year on a high note!
What makes garnet different than a ruby?
The January birthstone is a softer stone than a ruby and it has more fluctuation in color, too. It is just as beautiful and stunning, but it is going to be easier to source and find compared to a ruby. A ruby is still seen as a semi-precious gemstone that is well-loved by many.
The types of garnet
There are many different hues in garnet, which is part of its differentiating detail. The main types include deep red, vibrant green, and blue garnet. The deep red January birthstone is often seen as pomegranate and this, as you can see, is the source of the name! It is a rich and faceted hue that is going to certainly be as stunning as you’d want.
The vibrant green is an energetic hue that is going to be a great choice when you want the healing properties of garnet (more on that next), but also want to enjoy a stone that is easier to match in jewelry staples. The blue January birthstone a really unique color that is simple, sophisticated, and rare when you compare it to the others.
Meaning and healing properties of January birthstone
There are many healing properties in the January birthstone, and we’ve split them into different categories for you to help. These include:
- Physical: On the physical plain, garnet helps by strengthening memory and boosting energy levels naturally. It also will help in balancing out sexual energies so that they are easy to manage. For those that want relationships to stay as they are, as was my case, this was really important.
- Mental: This will infuse you with self-confidence and will also inspire love of all types so that it fills you with positivity and quells concern over your goals. I wanted my friend to feel like her strongest self because she was facing some uncertainty in her life.
- Spiritual: The last feature in this was that I wanted to ensure that she was able to feel the connection to the world around her. From traditional beliefs to non-traditional, my friend was struggling to reach her soul and the things that drove her forward. This January birthstone is all about supporting the journey to find oneself and to connect with that self.
January Birthstone: fashion jewelry
Azuro Garnet Stack bracelets:
This January birthstone jewelry is a wonderful choice that is going to be easy to add into your stacking collections or single style.
Anissa Kermiche Garnet Ring:
Classic and understated, this is great for wearing for a flash of color and texture together with a little pearl touch.
Pearls Before Swine Garnet Ring:
Chunky and bold for a statement style, this January birthstone is a wonderful choice for those that like to go bold and big.
Azuro Garnet Beaded Necklace:
With beads helping accentuate this simple strand, this January birthstone jewelry is great for casual wear or dressy wear.
Pendant Without Chain M'Ama Non M'Ama:
Hung on a string, this solitaire style garnet necklace is the perfect minimalistic approach.
January birthstone: Care and cleaning
If you are hunting at taking care of this January birthstone, here are the main facets to help you out!
- Caring: The January birthstone Garnet is a soft stone, so you will need to avoid any kind of scraping or rubbing with other jewelry. This includes any kind of hard metals or stronger stones that may ruin the garnet itself with the destruction of the surface. Be careful when choosing how you wish to pair your January birthstone with other stones in that way.
- Cleaning: The best way to clean this January birthstone effectively is in warm and soapy water. You’ll want to avoid steam cleaning and you can use ultrasonic cleaners if you are sure that the stone is not fractured or otherwise compromised.
- Cleansing: To effectively cleanse garnet, you’ll need to clean it as above and then allow it to recharge in the sun. The January birthstone is a sunstone, after all. Do what you can to make sure that you keep it free of accumulated energy and in this way, it’ll be available and “clean” to help you
I’m even more glad, now, that I bought this as something special for my friend. It will fulfill her, show her how much I care and surround her with positive energy in a radiant piece of jewelry that she is going to adore every time she wants to look her best.