Jasper comes in plenty of different shapes and sizes. And if you add colors and patterns to the equations, the possibilities just become endless. This article aims to solve that infinite puzzle by highlighting only the most popular types of jasper stone. Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a bumpy ride as we go demystifying the mysterious world of jasper.
What Is Jasper Stone?
- Jasper stone is a microcrystalline gemstone that belongs to the class of quartz minerals. All types of jasper are primarily made up of silicon dioxide but also contain impurities like clay, hematite, pyrolusite, and calcite, which contribute to its opaqueness and infinite variety. The texture of different types of jasper and other physical properties are like a typical quartz mineral.
- Some forms of jasper are relatively rare and hard to procure. And that’s why they trade a lot higher than average. For example, Madagascar jasper price ranges from $500-$600. Its popularity is owed to mentions in famous works of fiction, like the Twilight series
- In the book of Revelation, jasper represents the glory of God. In one of the visions experienced by the apostle John, he described the appearance of God as that of a jasper stone.
Characteristics Of Jasper Stone
- Jasper stone consists of 20% impurities that impart many characteristic patterns and colors to it. Its refractive index is 1.54-.1.55, and it’s considered an opaque stone. As for the carat size, it’s not really of any help in this case. Because a large jasper stone may weigh less, and the opposite of that is also true., size is a better metric to judge jasper stone.
- On Mohs’ scale of harness, all types of jasper stone lie somewhere between 6.5 and 7. And that’s the same as the hardness of a steel nail.
- High-grade jasper can be differentiated from low-grade jasper based on color and hardness. The color of a high-grade jasper stone won’t fade upon sun exposure, or the acetone solution can’t wash away the colors. In terms of hardness, all types of jasper have a scratch-free surface.
- Of all the types of jasper, the red gemstone is the most common one. The reddish color is owed to the presence of hematite impurity. Some other mildly popular colors are orange, brown, black, white, and yellow. The rarest of all types of jasper are green and blue stones.
- Part of the reason for jasper’s popularity in the fashion industry is that it has abundant varieties in terms of colors, shapes, and patterns. Almost all the popular patterns like circles, bands, swirls, or rings can be found in jasper. These patterns are intrinsically printed on different shapes of jasper like heart, pear, or oval.
Gold Classic Red Jasper Bracelet
The red jasper stones owes its blush to its iron impurities, and radiate a blood hue that provokes a passionate emotion.
Source Of The Jasper Stone
Sources of jasper, the geographic region they are mined from, yield many different types of jasper specific to that region. For example, a special multicolor (black, blue, brown, and white) jasper stone is native to the manganese ores of the Taikan range in Siberia. The major source of jasper is the Purbalingga district in Indonesia. In the West, the mineral can be procured from Oregon’s Biggs in the US and Ynys Llanddwyn in Wales.
Popular Types Of Jasper Stone And Jasper Jewelry
Yellow jasper stone ranges in color from bright yellow to mustard. It’s the presence of iron impurities that determine the range of yellowish color. In ancient and medieval times, yellow jasper was known as the “rain bringer.” It was used in times of drought to save the harvests. Yellow jasper provides protective immunity against self-doubt, gossip, and chronic worries. If worn for an extended period, it can build self-confidence and enthusiasm.
Physically, jasper stone helps get rid of environmental toxins, boosts the immune system, and aids in stomach problems. Moreover, it provides clarity and assists in sorting out random emotions. With yellow jasper, you’ll experience a reality-check of your relationships and situations. Like most types of jasper, yellow jasper stone can be found in all the major parts of the world, including India, South Africa, Russia, Australia, and the USA.
Yellow Japer Bracelet
The healing benefits of the jasper stone mens silver bracelets will activate the connection with the inner self and promote positivity.
Green jasper is molded from solidified volcanic ash. And the green color of the stone suggests that the ash must have been rich in Iron silicate compounds as such compounds are responsible for giving green color to the stone. In gemstone enthusiasts, green jasper is also known as “peace love crystal.” Because it symbolizes balance and harmony. Its healing properties include combating negative energies and evil forces, battling anxiety and depression, and aiding recovery from illnesses and injuries. It restores balance and stability in your mind, both of which positively contribute to mental health. Green jasper is one of the most popular types of jasper sourced in Uruguay, Egypt, Kazakhstan, and India.
Gold Green Jasper Chakra Bracelet
Green jasper is one of the heart chakras and it restores balance and reduces toxicity and anxiety..
Ocean jasper is known for its unique and intricate orb-like pattern displayed in the colors white, green, brown, black, and blue. Such intricate pattern and diverse coloration justify its name, orbicular ocean jasper. The term “ocean” in ocean jasper reflects its origin. An interesting fact about jasper is that it was lost to the world for nearly 75 years. Years later, it was rediscovered along the coast of Northern Madagascar. And this makes it rarest of all types of japser because it can only be found in Northern Madagascar. Representing the ocean and the lost continent of Atlantis, ocean jasper is said to bring a sense of calmness and optimism to the wearer. It aids in physically healing from conditions like eczema, tumors, sleeplessness, and anxiety.
Of all the types of japser, Picasso has a modernistic look. It comes in shades of grey, black, and brown. And the patterns are pretty basic. Geologically speaking, Picasso is more of a metamorphic limestone rather than jasper. Picasso jasper is named after the esteemed painter Pablo Picasso. It’s an excellent meditation stone that helps people achieve clarity of thoughts and their interpretations. It’s also known to rekindle the lost spark between partners and friends. Picasso jasper is commonly found in the state of Utah.
Silver Classic Picasso Jasper
Picasso Jasper stone can resemble to beautiful paintings of Picasso since Picasso Jasper is named after the famous Spanish painter Pablo Picasso, who convey aspects of life with unbridled creativity.
Mariam jasper is one of the unique types of jasper that’s predominantly available in yellow and brown colors. It’s an overall yellow stone with dark brownish stripes. It’s also known as elephant skin jasper. And as the name implies, it provides a tough defense against harmful things. It also relieves the wearer from skin problems, scars, and hair fall issues. In Hindu mythology, the legend has it that the Mariam jasper was formed when the Himalayas rose into the sky.
Sacral Chakra Bracelet
Mariam jasper stone stimulates creativity.
Common Questions About Jasper Stone
What’s The Price Range Of Jasper?
The value of jasper stone lies in its color saturation and the beauty of its patterns. Ordinary stones, the ones in simple shapes, are sold for $5 and sometimes even less. A finely cut jasper in the designer form costs around $2 to $5 per carat. The wholesale values of standard cabs can range anywhere from $0.50-$20.
What’s The Difference Between Jasper And Agate?
Jasper and agate are both microcrystalline gemstones that fall under the broad category of chalcedony. Compared to jasper, agate is the translucent form of chalcedony. Jasper is heavily studded with silica impurities which make it an opaque stone.
What’s The Difference Between Jasper And Jade?
Jade is an ornamental mineral restricted only to many shades of green. Jade refers to two different minerals, nephrite, and jadeite. However, there are many types of jasper, and it is not limited to green.
That’s pretty much everything you need to know about jasper gemstones. Since there are so many types of jasper, hopefully, with the information provided in the article, you’ll be able to find your perfect match.